Today is all about healthy hair. This is something that I have always struggled with and today I want to share what i’ve been doing to really improve the look and feel of my hair!
You’ve probably heard me state time and time again how oily my skin in. Not only does my face look like a grease pit but my scalp gets this way as well. For the longest time, I thought the only way to combat this was to wash my hair every single day. Let me tell you how wrong I was!! Not only was I washing my hair every day but I was also dying my hair. I’ve been dying my hair for close to 12 years now. I even color corrected my hair (which I do not suggest for a beginner, go to a professional) after a “professional” messed is up horribly. I always had split ends and even though my hair may have felt soft, it definitely didnt look healthy.
So what have I done to bring my hair back from the dead? Read on.
1. I switched from drug store box dye to Wella from Sally’s Beauty Supply. This is much gentler on my hair and is actually much cheaper.
2. I stopped washing my hair every day. I started out washing my hair every other day and used dry shampoo in between. While its taken a while to get use to, I now only wash my hair every 4 days. Before my hair was producing excess oils to combat what I was stripping from it everyday, now my hair doesnt getting nearly as oily.
3. I never used hair oil since I thought my hair was excessively oily but boy was I wrong. I use this on the bottom half of my hair, concentrating on the ends, to really help keep my ends stay smooth. This has made a world of difference! Boy does my hair shine now!
4. I use a good conditioner after I wash. Not only that, but I use various restoring or moisturing conditioners on my hair at night. I sleep with the conditioner on my hair and rinse it off in the morning before I shampoo like normal. Using conditioner as a hair mask every 4 days helps in aiding breakage and split ends.
5. I use to straighten my hair every day! Instead, I use a round brush when I blow dry my hair to straighten it and give it body. Using just a blow dryer is better than blow drying and straightening it! I also be sure to use a heat protectant!
6. I also find it very important to have a healthy diet and drink a lot of water! This will aid in keeping your hair healthy from the inside out.
Thanks to changing the way I take care of my hair, I’ve seen a ton of growth and there has been a significant decrease in breakage and shedding. Since my last dye job I’ve had about a half inch of growth! Its time to dye my hair and give it a good deep conditioning treatment after!
What kinds of things do you do to keep your hair healthy?